- This event has passed.
6th Annual Cervelo Belgian Waffle Ride Health and Fitness Expo
6th Annual Cervelo Belgian Waffle Ride Health and Fitness Expo:
The most unique cycling event in the country, the Cervélo Belgian Waffle Ride, is back for its sixth edition of pedaling perversity. Created as an extremely challenging cycling event in the spirit of the great one-day spring classics of Belgium, the Cervélo Belgian Waffle Ride (BWR) will return to North County San Diego on May 21, 2017. There will also be a shorter, and only half as painful Belgian Wafer Ride, as well as the expanded BWR Lifestyle and Fitness Expo (5/20 – 5/21), hosted by The Lost Abbey Brewery in San Marcos, California.
The Cervélo Belgian Waffle Ride is a two-day cycling fête nestled in the shadow of the area’s tallest peak, the famous Double Peak, which will cause serious pain near the end of the two-wheeled march of death that’s become known as the Hell of the North (County).
THE RIDE SPECS– 140 Miles/227 Kilometers | 68 Miles/109 Kilometers (Wafer Ride)
– 13 Categorized Climbs (Including Three Category 2 Climbs)
– 13,000 Feet of Climbing | 6,500 Feet of Climbing (Wafer Ride)
– 17 Dirt Sections totaling over 40 miles (Long, Sandy, Wet, Rocky, Hilly, Ugly)
– 14 Water Crossings, or Foot Bridge Crossings
– 3 King of the Mountain segments
– 3 King of the Dirt segments
– 3 King of the Sprint segments
– 10 Feed Zones
BWR LIFESTYLE AND FITNESS EXPO | PARTICIPANT CHECK-INSaturday, May 20, 2017 is the event’s check-in day and all the athletes, their families and the local cycling community come out for a fun-filled expo, featuring myriad cycling friendly brands sharing and showing their wares. The day’s festivities will be highlighted by a special AMGEN Tour of California (TOC) viewing party in the glorious outdoor beer garden extending out from the Lost Abbey Brewery. There will be jumbo screens and TV stations throughout for VIPs and the general public to take part in San Diego’s largest cycling party of 2017— reveling in the final stage of the TOC! There will be food and fun, and of course Belgian inspired ales from the Lost Abbey.
The Expo is a powerful, fun way for brands to share their message and products with more than 3,000 cycling enthusiasts. The Expo attracts cyclists from all backgrounds and disciplines, all engulfed in the excitement of the unique weekend. It’s the perfect opportunity to celebrate the glories of cycling with a group of fanatics.
BWR WAFFLE FEAST AND RIDES | POST RIDE CELEBRATIONSunday, May 21, 2017 is the pre-ride Belgian waffle feast, punctuated by both the Cervélo Belgian Waffle Ride and it’s shorter sibling, the Belgian Wafer Ride (half the distance). Both during the events and after revelers enjoy the Belgian inspired Ales of the Lost Abbey and a feast from Gear Grinder Grill. Finishers are treated to all sorts of culinary delights, delicious beverages, massages, and the elation that only an accomplishment like finishing the Cervélo BWR can provide.
WINNER’S JERSEYS CATEGORIESBorrowing from the Grand Tour dynamics that their multiple categories provide within the overall event, the BWR has several categories for both men and women including:
GC (overall General Classification winner/yellow jersey)
King of the Mountain (KOM winner red/white waffle-dot jersey)
King of the Sprint (green jersey)
King of the Dirt (red jersey)
Hardman (strongest contributor/blue jersey)
kUDOs Jersey (awarded to the rider(s) who is considered the most spirited, positive and happy rider, named in honor Udo Heinz/orange jersey)
NEW TO THIS YEAR‘S EVENT
Best Overall Team ((top 4 (of 5) riders’ combined times—Male, Female and Co-Ed winners/white jersey))
WEEKEND HIGHLIGHTSThe 2017 Cervélo Belgian Waffle Ride & Expo Weekend is choc-full of adventure, excitement and fun for all.
– A two-day expo hosted by the Lost Abbey featuring the finest cycling, lifestyle and fitness companies
– Over 50 vendors in a massive beer garden connected to the Lost Abbey
– Viewing Party of the AMGEN Tour of California’s last day on Saturday.
– Family friendly event for the enjoyment and celebration of all; Flemish and non-Flemish alike
– 1,500 riders and their partners humbly and excitedly participating in the event’s pageantry and positivity
– One crazy course and one shorter, less crazy course: two levels of insanity to choose from
– A lavish Belgian feast, before, during and after
– Commemorative finishing awards and Lost Abbey libations
– One powerful weekend in celebration and support of our friends at Challenged Athletes Foundation (CAF)
Saturday, May 20 10:00am—Expo opens
12:00pm—TOC coverage begins
Sunday, May 21
5:00am—Expo opens, food (Waffles and more) engorging commences
7:00am—Roll out wave for Pros
7:10am—Roll out wave 2 (Women)
7:20am—Roll out wave 3
7:30am—Roll out wave 4
8:00am—Roll out Wafer Ride
10:30am—Kegs are flowing