Thursday, May 17 – Individual Time Trial (18.4 mi/29.7 km)
Start Time: 1 p.m. PT
Satellite Feed Time: 4:50 – 5:05 p.m. PT
(Coordinates can be found at http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/news/media-info.html)
The finishing circuit at the end of the 2010 Amgen Tour of California’s Stage 5 in Bakersfield was a gut-wrenching fan favorite, so it was only natural to return to the scene and turn that circuit into an 18.4 mile Individual Time Trial course.
Right from the start, the riders will go from zero to nearly 60 mph in a matter of seconds. The start ramp will launch them onto an immediate descent to Alfred Harrell Highway. From there, it will be a straight – but not exactly flat – route to the turnaround point at Lake Ming.
It’s likely going to be hot and windy, and there will not be much in the way of flat roadway to catch your breath. The route is full of 100-foot rollers, and as the riders approach the finish, they’ll be able to see it… up on a 300-foot bluff.
The prepared rider will have saved a little for the China Grade, which presents an eight percent climb to the top and then a hard left, and it won’t be over there. The riders will still face a slightly uphill, .44-mile run to the finish.
Also taking place tomorrow will be the second annual Amgen Tour of California Women’s Time Trial Race, presented by SRAM. Using the same course as the men’s individual time trial, the women’s event will feature the leading female athletes in the world of cycling, all vying for a piece of the $10,000 prize pool.
The Amgen Tour of California Women’s Time Trial Race will begin at 11:10 a.m. PDT on Thursday, May 17, with the women leaving at one-minute intervals.
The current race roster is as follows:
1. Alison Tetrick (Exergy TWENTY12), USA
2. Tayler Wiles (Exergy TWENTY12), USA
3. Kristin Armstrong (Exergy TWENTY12), USA
4. Emilia Fahlin (Team Specialized-Lululemon), SWE
5. Loren Rowney (Team Specialized-Lululemon), AUS
6. Bridie O’Donnell (Vanderkitten-Focus), AUS
7. Janel Holcomb (Optum Pro Cycling p/b Kelly Benefits Strategies), USA
8. Jade Wilcoxson (Optum Pro Cycling p/b Kelly Benefits Strategies), USA
9. Alison Powers (NOW and NOVARTIS for MS), USA
10. Robin Farina (NOW and NOVARTIS for MS), USA